WY EMPLOYMENT PROJECT
The Warrgamugardi Yirdiyabura (WY) Program makes a positive contribution to the local community through the up-skilling, training and educations of local people for employment readiness in the local economy.
The program is funded by the North West Shelf Venture & Woodside and managed by NYFL through offering 2 year supported employment, education and training period for the local Aboriginal Community with a supporting host.
Host organisations, from local businesses to large Resources Corporations, support a work-based traineeship and apprenticeships for local individuals who have committed to the WY Program. To date, some of the traineeships and up-skilling for members of the program have included:
- Cert III Primary Indigenous Health
- Cert II in Construction
- Cert II in Community Services (Youth and Family)
- Cert III in Community Services (Child Care)
- Work experience at the ESS/NYFL Bay Village accommodation.
- Roebourne School Canteen.
- First Aid certification.
- Literacy and computer skills training courses.
- Cultural awareness workshops for supporting host organisations.
- Cert II & III in Hospitality
- Cert II & III in Business
Success as at 2017
Since NYFL took over the management of the program, the WY Program has provided up-skilling, training and education for 13 local people, since July 2010. Many of the graduates are approaching completion of their 2 year accredited certificates and will be viewed for permanent employment by the host organisations.